Sun Poisoning????
If there is such a thing, I think Paul David had it this weekend. If there's not such a thing, well,
then I'm making it up to describe his mysterious illness.
Let me tell you the story (it's going to be long)...
We headed out Friday afternoon to Austin for our last Longhorn game. Luck would have it that the sun was BEATING down on us the whole way there. Poor Paul David was right in the sun's path at every turn. Around Chappel Hill, we pulled over and hung a shirt in the window to try to block some of it out. At this point, I noticed that Paul David was a bit whiney.
Then, we made it on into Austin and went to the University Coop (their bookstore where you can buy anything imaginable with Texas or a longhorn on it). As I was putting him in the stroller, I thought, man he's still really warm (the sun had long since gone down). He was quiet through the store, and then we headed to Mangia's Chicago Stuffed Pizzaria...YUM! We got a booth and our pizza very quickly (we had preordered), and Paul David, who LOVES pizza, LAID DOWN IN THE BOOTH, PUT HIS HEAD ON MY LAP and WENT TO SLEEP! Our child does not do this...I would never have even imagined in a million years that I would ever be witness to Paul David doing this. This child was SICK!
After a stop at Target for some Tylenol (which killed me to buy since you know I have like 5 bottles here that I paid NOTHING for...thanks CVS!), we finally got to the hotel. I laid him down to change his diaper and into his PJ's, and after I was finished, he just laid there...in that same spot. He didn't start bouncing off the walls like he normally does in hotel rooms. We like to say that there must be kid catnip in hotels because he usually goes bonkers in them. We cuddled, and he fell asleep. We had an okay night...he slept most of it...I didn't.
So this morning, we get up, and our old Paul David is back. He starts going crazy in the room, climbing on the bed, climbing on the luggage cart, etc. He seems great, except he won't eat...HMMM!
We head off to the game. I'm telling you though that he seemed NORMAL until we got in our seats.
Let me describe this Longhorn game. The last game was HOT, this one was HOt (yes, hot with a little t...a little bit better than the last, but still felt like I was in a tanning bed. This time the fan was a little bit bigger (meaning there was more wind) and at least 5 degrees cooler...if you can use the word cooler on a day like today. It was an 11 o'clock game, so I was excited about that...not during nap time...or so I thought).
Around the middle of the 2nd quarter, Paul David was sitting so nicely in his chair, and I began to notice his head kept tilting to the side, then jerking back. He was going to sleep. I finally laid him down in his chair, and we tried to cover every inch of him. He had on sunscreen, but it just seems like the sun is baking a hole in you...so I thought it might be better to cover him up. Plus, some of the napkins were wet...but not for long. God love him, he slept like this:

for a good 45 minutes. Poor Baby.
If there is such a thing, I think Paul David had it this weekend. If there's not such a thing, well,
then I'm making it up to describe his mysterious illness.
Let me tell you the story (it's going to be long)...
We headed out Friday afternoon to Austin for our last Longhorn game. Luck would have it that the sun was BEATING down on us the whole way there. Poor Paul David was right in the sun's path at every turn. Around Chappel Hill, we pulled over and hung a shirt in the window to try to block some of it out. At this point, I noticed that Paul David was a bit whiney.
Then, we made it on into Austin and went to the University Coop (their bookstore where you can buy anything imaginable with Texas or a longhorn on it). As I was putting him in the stroller, I thought, man he's still really warm (the sun had long since gone down). He was quiet through the store, and then we headed to Mangia's Chicago Stuffed Pizzaria...YUM! We got a booth and our pizza very quickly (we had preordered), and Paul David, who LOVES pizza, LAID DOWN IN THE BOOTH, PUT HIS HEAD ON MY LAP and WENT TO SLEEP! Our child does not do this...I would never have even imagined in a million years that I would ever be witness to Paul David doing this. This child was SICK!
After a stop at Target for some Tylenol (which killed me to buy since you know I have like 5 bottles here that I paid NOTHING for...thanks CVS!), we finally got to the hotel. I laid him down to change his diaper and into his PJ's, and after I was finished, he just laid there...in that same spot. He didn't start bouncing off the walls like he normally does in hotel rooms. We like to say that there must be kid catnip in hotels because he usually goes bonkers in them. We cuddled, and he fell asleep. We had an okay night...he slept most of it...I didn't.
So this morning, we get up, and our old Paul David is back. He starts going crazy in the room, climbing on the bed, climbing on the luggage cart, etc. He seems great, except he won't eat...HMMM!
We head off to the game. I'm telling you though that he seemed NORMAL until we got in our seats.
Let me describe this Longhorn game. The last game was HOT, this one was HOt (yes, hot with a little t...a little bit better than the last, but still felt like I was in a tanning bed. This time the fan was a little bit bigger (meaning there was more wind) and at least 5 degrees cooler...if you can use the word cooler on a day like today. It was an 11 o'clock game, so I was excited about that...not during nap time...or so I thought).
Around the middle of the 2nd quarter, Paul David was sitting so nicely in his chair, and I began to notice his head kept tilting to the side, then jerking back. He was going to sleep. I finally laid him down in his chair, and we tried to cover every inch of him. He had on sunscreen, but it just seems like the sun is baking a hole in you...so I thought it might be better to cover him up. Plus, some of the napkins were wet...but not for long. God love him, he slept like this:
for a good 45 minutes. Poor Baby.
He did wake up in a little better mood. We shared a snow cone and took lots of breaks to
go down in the tunnel and concourse where it was wonderfully cool.
Here the game is almost over...Horns WON!
So, we decide to walk the ramps down to the bottom, and Paul David is going to ride on Paul's shoulders down. I wish I had gotten a picture of that, but it wasn't going to happen. Paul David was not excited about this. He screamed the first couple ramps, then it went to mere crying and saying, "Mommy" in his most pitiful voice about a 100 times. It was really sad, but kind of funny. I think he's really afraid of heights or something.
We get back to the car, and he asks for "fishies" which are Goldfish. He starts eating them, and so I ask him if he wants a cheeseburger. He gets so excited. We got the cheeseburger and went to Rudy's to eat us some BBQ. He mowed down that burger! I gave him a little more tylenol just to be on the safe side, but on the way home, he was watching "Nemo" and was laughing so hard at the part where the fish says, "Nemo touched the butt!" He was a mess most of the way and then when we got home, too.
So, do you think he had Sun Poisoning? It seems that way to me!
I guess we should see how tomorrow goes first, though.

3 comments:
Oh -- poor Paul David! I know if Joanna layed down and fell asleep in a restaurant booth, I'd think the world was coming to an end! Hopefully it was just a fluke or something. Hope he's back to normal tomorrow!
I don't know for sure, but I would think the heat could do that to you. Hope he's doing better!
I'm sure the sun could have tired him out. Makes sense to me!
Post a Comment