Sometime this summer, I decided I was tired of picking up tiny little toys! It was taking me about 10 trips across our kitchen, living room, and dining room to get everything to the area around the storage bins. One day, I said to myself, "I need something to sweep all this stuff over to this one area!"...A RAKE!
I bought one, and it has been the best $3.96 investment I've made in house cleaning yet! I just start in the kitchen and "Rake" all the toys to the living room. Then I start in the dining room and rake them all to the living room. Finally, I start raking the living room and get all the toys in front of the storage bins, and start sorting! It saves my back so much grief! It really works for me!
Now, you may be saying, "Candice, you have an almost 2 year old...you really should be teaching him to put things away." Well, I've tried! I tried to make a game of it, but he just thought it was funner to pull everything out of the bins. I just don't think he's quite mature enough to grasp the whole clean up thing. He likes to see all his toys laid out on the floor instead of hidden in bins. Plus, I worked with 5 year olds that still had no idea how to pick up effectively...he's got a couple of years to learn! Honestly, if it weren't for vacuuming, I'd probably just leave it a mess, too!
So that's what works for me!
6 comments:
She's not kidding! I've seen her raking her living room in person. It's really a great idea. I'm proud to call you my friend. And I agree - he's too young to get the whole clean up thing. I think they have to be old enough to understand the threat of "you won't play with it tomorrow if you don't pick it up tonight."
I love it!
Works for me Wednesday is a great idea...I'll have to remember it too!
That's funny!
When you and April were little, we hardly ever saw the dining room floor. That's just where little ones think the toys are supposed to be! It didn't bother me, but I think Danny would invite people over so I would pick up. A rake would have come in handy!
Why not just invest in one of those leaf blowers?! Those look pretty cool to me! :-) Actually I have to admit I'd probably be tempted to just leave them and walk over them or around them! I"m lazy...
Susanna
Post a Comment